Atlantic ERMA®, an online mapping tool for New York and New Jersey waters, is a collaborative effort between NOAA and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to integrate key environmental response information for decision makers. ERMA gathers a variety of data into a single interactive map, providing a quick visualization of an emergency situation and improving communication and coordination during potential response and restoration activities.
In the fall of 2012, Atlantic ERMA was put to the test during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Designated as the Common Operational Picture for the U.S. Coast Guard's pollution response to Hurricane Sandy, ERMA provided responders across multiple command posts and field teams with up-to-date information to facilitate assessment and cleanup of spilled hazardous waste and other pollutants. Data specific to the response included identified pollution sources, remote sensing imagery, field and overflight photos, major response operations, and locations of sensitive natural resources. View a gallery of before-and-after photos from the Hurricane Sandy response as viewed through Atlantic ERMA.
In the future, Atlantic ERMA will continue to support ongoing environmental remediation and restoration activities throughout this region.
Visit Atlantic ERMA. Note: A user name and password is required to view some of the response data.
More Information about ERMA
ERMA is designed to:
- Aid in spill preparedness and planning.
- Assist in coordinating emergency response efforts and situational awareness for human and natural disasters.
- Help define the extent of potential environmental impacts, supporting the Natural Resource Damage Assessment process.
- Support ecological recovery and restoration efforts.
- Provide access to hazard-related information from anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Visualize data from a variety of sources, with the ability to include additional media such as photos and links to scientific reports.
- Allow you to customize the data displayed, so you see only the information needed to make a specific decision or action plan.
- Tell a story or reconstruct the history of an event using animated layers of information.
ERMA has been customized with site-specific data for seven different geographic regions. Regional ERMA sites are currently secure-access only. However, you can access publicly available data without a site login.
ERMA Overview: Find out more information about the ERMA application.
Questions: Contact us with your questions, comments, or suggestions for ERMA.