GIS Photo Management Intern
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample, with "GIS Photo Management Intern" in the email subject line to Janet Matta, Outreach Coordinator, Janet.Matta@noaa.gov.
What We Offer
We invite you to join a dedicated and enthusiastic team where you will gain invaluable resume-building experience and an insider’s perspective from the nation’s leader in ocean conservation and management. As an intern, you will work on projects related to NOAA’s response to the Deepwater Horizon/BP oil spill, including management of photos and related spatial data used in the response effort. Based in Seattle, Washington at NOAA’s Western Regional Center near the University of Washington campus, you will work closely with NOAA scientists, spatial analysts, and developers of cutting-edge applications for spill response management.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis year-round, so please include dates of availability in your submitted materials. At this time, a stipend is not offered.
The Spatial Data Branch within NOAA’s Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R) is a dynamic team that supports NOAA missions by providing access to and management of spatial data for oil spill response and damage assessment. We are looking for a motivated self-starter who enjoys independent work as well as a strong team environment to join us as an intern. The ideal candidate for this internship will possess a strong GIS background and the desire to immerse him or herself in the world of spatial data for spill response and damage assessment from the perspective of a frontline federal response team.
- Geotag and upload photos into an online and desktop photo management system.
- Assist in ongoing development of a photo management application.
- Work with team members to build a workflow for managing geotagged photos.
- Assist in conducting a user needs assessment to improve usability and functionality.
- Develop and write documentation for the online and desktop photo management system.
- Assist in other Spatial Data Branch projects as needed.
- Assist in special projects as needed that fit your interest and skill areas, including research reports, filmmaking, or media relations.
- Strong interest in GIS and related geospatial technologies.
- Knowledge and application of cartographic theory.
- Experience with Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, ArcGIS (versions 9.3 or 10.0) and/or Open Source GIS software.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with Garmin Mapsource, GPS-Photo Link.
Please review the OR&R Internships page for details on eligibility for this and other OR&R intern positions.