Metadata Viewer Tool
This tool launches your PDF viewer software and opens the metadata file associated with your ESI map. Metadata, or identifying information, is provided as a file in the atlas directory that is transferred from the ESI CD/DVD (or that you have downloaded). For our newer atlases, we also generally provide metadata in HTML, SGML, and TXT formats.
Learn more about the Metadata Viewer Tool, including:
Download the latest version of the Metadata Viewer Tool:
- Metadata Viewer Tool [Zip, 10.9 KB]: Vs. 1, updated February 27, 2006.
Note: You can download the entire suite of ESI tools for ArcMap from the ESI Toolbar page.
The Metadata Viewer is in compressed format as a self-extracting zip file: MetadataView.zip. [Need help with compressed files?] Once the file is unzipped, place the DLL file on your hard drive. For consistency, you may want to place it in the directory where most of the ArcGIS DLL files reside: ProgramFiles/ArcGIS/Bin.
Note: If you are running the Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system and are unable to load the Metadata Viewer Tool using the following steps (i.e., you get a message that "no tools were added"), see the additional notes below.
After you have saved the uncompressed MetadataView.dll file to your hard drive, launch ArcMap.
To install a single tool onto the ArcMap toolbar:
- Right-click on the ArcMap toolbar and scroll down to "Customize" (or choose the "Customize" option under the Tools menu).
- Select the "Commands" tab on the "Customize" window.
- Click the "Add from file" button.
- Navigate to the MetadataView.dll on your hard drive. (If you don't see the file, your browser may not have unzipped the compressed version.) [Need help with compressed files?]
- Select the DLL file and click Open to add the Metadata Viewer Tool to your available tools. Click OK.
- Click the icon next to the Metadata Viewer Tool and drag it onto your standard toolbar. Release the mouse button when your cursor becomes a vertical bar. (You need to release the mouse button at or before the last icon on your toolbar.)
- Exit the "Customize" window.
Additional Notes for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users:
To install any ArcMap DLL, you must have administrative privileges. The following approaches may be needed to successfully load the Metadata Viewer Tool if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7.
- Launch a new ArcMap session by right-clicking on the ArcMap icon and choosing "Run as administrator." Follow the steps provided above to load the tool. Once it is loaded, you can launch ArcMap as a user and the Metadata Viewer Tool will be available.
- If the method described in the previous step did not work, try the following: As an administrator, go to Control Panel > User Accounts. If the User Account Control (UAC) box is checked, uncheck it and restart your computer. (Once you've installed the DLL file according to the rest of the instructions above, you can recheck the UAC checkbox and restart your computer to turn the UAC security back on.)
To use any of the ESI tools, you'll need to begin by moving the atlas directory that resides in the Geodatabase directory on your ESI CD/DVD (or that you have downloaded) to your computer's hard drive. The tools are dependent on the layer names and relationships that have been set up inside the MXD file provided.
Select the Metadata Viewer Tool (shown above) to open the metadata file associated with the atlas you are viewing, using your default PDF viewer software. Note: The file called metadata.pdf must reside in the same directory as the Geodatabase files for this tool to work.
More Information about ESI Maps
ESI Maps: Overview of ESI maps.
ESI Toolkit: Tools and resources for ESI maps.
Questions: Contact us with your questions, comments, or suggestions about the ESI Tools.