CAMEO Chemicals is a database of hazardous chemicals that emergency responders and planners can use to get response recommendations and predict hazards, such as explosions or chemical fires. It is part of the CAMEO software suite and is available in both online and desktop versions.
Access CAMEO Chemicals
CAMEO Chemicals is developed by NOAA in partnership with the Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Coast Guard. The online version is maintained by NOAA's Office of Response and Restoration.
- Use the online version of CAMEO Chemicals, available at http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov, to get quick, convenient access to all of the response datasheets and the reactivity prediction tool. All of the same functionality is also included in a standalone version that you can download and run from your own computer (so that you don't have to rely on an Internet connection to get your response information).
- There is also a version of the CAMEO Chemicals website for mobile devices, available at http://m.cameochemicals.noaa.gov. It contains all of the same data as the full site. Most of the functionality is also the same between the full and mobile sites—although some features (such as printing and exporting) are only available on the full site. Note that this is a mobile site (and not an app), so an Internet connection is required to view the site.
How CAMEO Chemicals Works
CAMEO Chemicals features an extensive chemical database. You can search through thousands of datasheets, using a name, identification number, or other search criteria to find a particular chemical of interest.
Datasheets for each chemical provide critical response information, including physical properties, health hazards, information about air and water hazards, and recommendations for firefighting, first aid, and spill response. Additional datasheets based on UN/NA identification numbers provide response information from the Emergency Response Guidebook and shipping information from the Hazmat Table (49 CFR 172.101).
Additionally, you can make a collection of chemicals and then use the chemical reactivity tool to predict what hazards could arise if the chemicals were to mix together.
More Information about CAMEO Chemicals
- CAMEO Chemicals Fact Sheet [PDF, 902 KB]: Learn more about program features and updates by reading this CAMEO Chemicals fact sheet.
- CAMEO Chemicals Development History: Read about the changes made in each release of the CAMEO Chemicals program.
- CAMEO News Service: Join the CAMEO News Service e-mail list on the EPA CAMEO site to receive news and other helpful information from the development team.
- CAMEO Software Suite: Find out more about the four core programs—and several related programs—in the CAMEO software suite, which aids in hazardous material response and planning.
Questions: Contact us with questions, comments, or suggestions about CAMEO Chemicals.