National Academies of Science and Gulf of Mexico Research Institute (GOMRI) Workshop
MAY 20, 2019 — NOAA Scientific Support Coordinator (SSC) Adam Davis presented on the role of the NOAA SSC during the recent National Academies of Science and Gulf of Mexico Research Institute (GOMRI) co-sponsored workshop, “Preparing for Oil Spills in the Eastern Gulf: health, economic resilience, and community well-being”.
The workshop took place at two locations; a full two-day workshop in downtown Mobile, and an abbreviated evening workshop in Bayou La Batre.
The goals of these workshops was to determine the needs of communities in the Eastern Gulf. Specifically:
- Suggestions for protocols to include in existing response and regulatory frameworks
- List of pilot projects that could be rapidly funded
- Future research and outreach priorities
- List of available resources to aid in community preparedness and resilience
- Ideas to foster new connections and partnerships