OR&R Leads Training at 37th Annual Governor's Hurricane Conference
MAY 22, 2023 — Last week a team of experts from across the National Ocean Service (NOS) delivered a training session at the 37th Annual Governor’s Hurricane Conference. The training team, led by the OR&R’s Disaster Preparedness Program, was made up of representatives from five program offices. The training entitled, Beyond the Weather Service: NOAA’s Coastal Disaster Response and Recovery Capabilities, spotlighted the unique range of information, capabilities, resources, and tools provided by NOS to help communities prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters.
This year’s theme, Partnering for Success, focused on building strong connections through training and education. The NOS training session also offered the opportunity for staff to network with coastal resource and emergency managers. Building strong connections and developing cohesive partnerships is a core pillar of the NOS mission. Through collaboration, coordination, and strong relationships we are able to understand, predict, and respond to the challenges facing coastal communities.
Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services
- Paul Fanelli, Lead Oceanographer
- Maryellen Sault, Cartographer
- Matthew Pendleton, Southeast & Caribbean Regional Geospatial Coordinator
- Nicolas Alvarado, Navigation Manager - Florida, Puerto Rico, & US Virgin Islands,
Office of Response & Restoration
Assessment & Restoration Division
- Kevin Kirsch, Southeast Branch Chief
- Brad Benggio, Scientific Support Coordinator
- Ashley Hill, Florida Regional Coordinator
- (team lead) Kyla Breland, Southeast Regional Preparedness Coordinator