OR&R Team Crowned “Tampa Bay Debris Derby Heavyweight Champions”
NOV. 15, 2023 — On November 4, OR&R team participated in the inaugural Tampa Bay Debris Derby hosted by Tampa Bay Estuary Program, Tampa Bay Waterkeeper, and Ocean Aid 360. The Debris Derby brought together Tampa Bay’s coastal residents, boaters, anglers, watershed groups, and industry partners to improve the local marine habitat and promote community awareness of marine debris.
Out of the 40 teams, Team NOAA OR&R brought in the most debris with a total of 657 pounds. In total, over 140 volunteers participated in the event to remove over 4,500 pounds of debris throughout Tampa Bay. The OR&R team removed debris from the mangroves and shoreline of a St. Petersburg park. The debris ranged from an old mooring buoy, a rusty scale, pieces of a dock, and lots of plastic and personal items.
- Kevin Kirsch, Southeast Regional Manager
- Bryand Duke, Regional Resource Coordinator
- Michel Gielazyn, Regional Resource Coordinator
- Ryan Smith, Digital Communications Specialist
- Ashley Hill, Florida Regional Coordinator