Seasonal Summary Tool
This tool summarizes a region of interest on an ESI map and allows you to generate a text report, an 8.5 x 11 inch map layout, and a new geodatabase that contains the requested subset of feature layers and tables. Aside from a region of interest, you can specify a particular seasonality to be used in summarizing the biological resources. The text report includes quantitative and qualitative shoreline information, as well as an inventory of the biological and human-use resources in the region.
Learn more about the Seasonal Summary Tool, including:
Downloading the Seasonal Summary Tool
Download the latest version of the Seasonal Summary Tool:
- Seasonal Summary Tool [Zip, 108 KB]: Vs. 2.1.1, updated September 5, 2013.
Note: You can download the entire suite of ESI tools for ArcMap from the ESI Toolbar page.
The Seasonal Summary Tool is in compressed format as a self-extracting zip file: SeasonalSummary.zip. [Need help with compressed files?] Once the file is unzipped, place the DLL file on your hard drive. For consistency, you may want to place it in the directory where most of the ArcGIS DLL files reside: ProgramFiles/ArcGIS/Bin.
Installing the Seasonal Summary Tool
Note: If you are running the Windows Vista or Windows 7 operating system and are unable to load the Seasonal Summary Tool using the following steps (i.e., you get a message that "no tools were added"), see the additional notes below. After you have saved the uncompressed SeasonalSummary.dll file to your hard drive, launch ArcMap. To install a single tool onto the ArcMap toolbar:
- Right-click on the ArcMap toolbar and scroll down to "Customize" (or choose the "Customize" option under the Tools menu).
- Select the "Commands" tab on the "Customize" window.
- Click the "Add from file" button.
- Navigate to the SeasonalSummary.dll on your hard drive. (If you don't see the file, your browser may not have unzipped the compressed version.) [Need help with compressed files?]
- Select the DLL file and click Open to add the Seasonal Summary Tool to your available tools. Click OK.
- Click the icon next to the Seasonal Summary Tool and drag it onto your standard toolbar. Release the mouse button when your cursor becomes a vertical bar. (You need to release the mouse button at or before the last icon on your toolbar.)
- Exit the "Customize" window.
Additional Notes for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users: To install any ArcMap DLL, you must have administrative privileges. The following approaches may be needed to successfully load the Seasonal Summary Tool if you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7.
- Launch a new ArcMap session by right-clicking on the ArcMap icon and choosing "Run as administrator." Follow the steps provided above to load the tool. Once it is loaded, you can launch ArcMap as a user and the Seasonal Summary Tool will be available.
- If the method described in the previous step did not work, try the following: As an administrator, go to Control Panel > User Accounts. If the User Account Control (UAC) box is checked, uncheck it and restart your computer. (Once you've installed the DLL file according to the rest of the instructions above, you can recheck the UAC checkbox and restart your computer to turn the UAC security back on.)
Using the Seasonal Summary Tool
To use any of the ESI tools, you'll need to begin by moving the atlas directory that resides in the Geodatabase directory on your ESI CD/DVD (or that you have downloaded) to your computer's hard drive. The tools are dependent on the layer names and relationships that have been set up inside the MXD file provided.
Follow these steps to use the Seasonal Summary Tool: